We believe in the moral
and civic responsibility of the artist, the force of emotional distress, and the actual capabilities and human resources of
Perhaps the most eloquent test of the extent of
any artistic talent is whether it enables us
to appreciate the value
In a world driven by realpolitik, most information medias are but a mirror of political perspectives and therefore rarely equitable. This often leaves the vulnerable (minorities, women, children, and the elderly) in conflict zones and within societies of rigid ordinances at the mercy of the powers that are.
AVFI was founded in response to the war, terrorism, and refugee crisis that have plagued the Middle East and the world at large.
OUR VISION is to see that perpetrators of terror and violence are brought to justice, and that the voice of the disenfranchised are heard and their rights and liberties are preserved.
OUR MISSION is to help give a voice to the voiceless victims of violence and social injustice by empowering the art of self-expression utilizing the audiovisual medium. Our aim is to pave the way for those victims to reach out to the world community at a grass roots level, and inversely receive due public attention.
OUR APPROACH includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- To conduct short filmmaking workshops for victims of terror and violence in refugee camps, women's shelters, and community centers, and to guide them through the process of storytelling using the audiovisual medium.
- To help socially responsible and aspiring artists produce original works in all areas of motion picture production by providing training and hands-on workshops.
- To assist filmmakers with budgetary, logistical, and material support.
- To facilitate international film production collaborations with the aim to consolidate long-term development, support, and promotion of an integrated, sustainable art form that will be marked as the voice of the voiceless.
OUR FOCUS presently is on the Kurdistan region and the conflict zones surrounding it.
The turmoil of the past four years in Syria and Iraq created by the advent of the vicious terrorist group called ISIL (Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant) has caused thousands of precious lives and left thousands more devastated physically, mentally, and financially.
OUR PROJECTS are set to cover all sectors of the society that are victims of gender-related violence and other forms of social injustice. Our target groups are:
- The refugees and IDPs, with a focus on the women and children who managed to escape the grips of the terrorists but are left with life-long bruises both physically and emotionally.
- Victims of social injustice such as domestic violence, sex trafficking, child labor, and other forms of aggression.
2nd Annual Global Migration Film festival
AVFI sponsored and coordinated IOM's 2nd Global Migration Film Festival in Erbil. This year's event...more
3rd Anniversary of Shingal (Sinjar) massacre:
3 August 2017
AVFI held the 3rd anniversary commemorating the Shingal (Sinjar) massacre at Jano's Cinema Cafe...more
Khanké IDP camp film workshop orientation:
13 July 2017
Our team (Jano, Seivan, and Johannes) visited the children's center at the Khanké IDP Camp in Duhok Province...more